Monday, November 24, 2008

It's Been A Real Turkey Of A Year

The holiday season has arrived. On Thursday, families across America will be sitting down to a turkey (**insert favorite meat, fish, or composite bean loaf here**) dinner, clasping hands and giving thanks for all that has been bestowed upon us over this last 365 days.

Let's review what the last 365 days have brought:

- A 40% drop in the stock market (watch those 401k's wither)
- Massive layoffs and rising unemployment
- A foreign war that seems to just keep going and going
- Cataclysmic corporate failures in the banking, auto, and mortgage industries
- A complete failure in the free market system that has led to the biggest financial meltdown in our country's history.

At the national level, it's been a pretty rough year that has impacted families across America. The economic climate, in particular, has all of us worried and concerned about how we can ensure that our children grow up with the same or better opportunities than we've had.

Stress levels are through the roof as we struggle to adapt to the new realities that this recession has inflicted, including the debt burden we will leave to future generations after bailing out the companies whose survival seems to be required to hold our damaged economic system together. We call ourselves a free market economy - we're not.

I look at my son and wonder what kind of world he will grow up in. I think America's days as the world's preeminent superpower are done, and maybe that's not a bad thing. Like the typical neighborhood bully, we have tended to throw our weight around lately. And I'm a big believer in what goes around comes around.

I pray for leadership in Washington. I pray that saner minds recognize that partisan politics, regardless of which party is in the majority, will only perpetuate the stagnant and bloated body of government that runs this country.

I look at my son and I see tomorrow. I look at the evening news and I wonder what that tomorrow will be like.

I do know I want to be around to help him.

Men Living Longer

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

0 comments:

Template by - Abdul Munir | Daya Earth Blogger Template